The History of Beach Volleyball
The game of volleyball, originally called “mintonette”, was invented by William G. Morgan in 1895. Morgan, a graduate of the Springfield College of the YMCA, designed the game to be a combination of basketball, baseball, tennis and handball.During a demonstration game, someone remarked to Morgan that the players seemed to be volleying the ball back and forth over the net, and perhaps “volleyball” would be a more descriptive name for the sport. On July 7, 1896 at Springfield College the first game of “volleyball” was played.Currently with more than 800 million volleyball players worldwide, volleyball is the 2nd largest sport in the world.
- 1917: the game was changed from 21 to 15 points.
- 1920: three hits per side and back row attack rules were instituted.
- 1930: the first two-man beach game was played.
- 1947: the Federation Internationale De Volley-Ball (FIVB) was founded.
- 1948: the first two-man beach tournament was held.
- 1964: Indoor Volleyball was introduced to the Olympic Games in Tokyo.
- 1983: the Association of Volleyball Professionals (AVP) was formed.
- 1984: the U.S. won their first medals at the Olympics in Los Angeles. The Men won the Gold, and the Women the Silver.
- 1996: 2-person Beach Volleyball was introduced to the Olympic Games in Atlanta.
- 1998: More than 120 National Federations have regular Beach Volleyball activities.
- 2000: Beach volleyball is the 1st sport totally sold-out at the Sydney Olympic Games
- 2002: Beach volleyball court dimensions are reduced to 8m x 8m per side.
- 2003: Karch Kiraly becomes the first player to earn US$3M in prize money and oldest player to win an AVP tournament at age 42 years, 9 months and 14 days. (You’re never too old for volleyball!)
- 2004: Africa is represented in beach volleyball for the first time at the Olympics Games in Athens by Colin Pocock and his partner, they achieve a 9th position.
- 2006: Pococks Action Beach Volleyball (Pty) Ltd opens a 4-court indoor arena in Johannesburg and trades as Pococks Indoor Beach Volleyball.